Wednesday, 21 September 2011

Bad Omens mean Good Tidings


Contradictory? Nah, I don't think it's a contradictory statement at all. I think the bad makes us think of the good, rethink the good and see it a little more clearly. It's easy to get lost in the bad omen and forget about the good things, but personally I've come to stop and think that maybe we as a species should slow down and look at the good. Sure, there's corporations enslaving people and tearing things up, dumping hazardous chemicals everywhere... But there's also opposition, people who oppose and stand against it. And though there are people who go around and take the lives of others... There are also those who have dedicated themselves to saving the lives of others.

Life, or more accurately perception is a one-sided blade. Everyone, absolutely everyone places things into categories that are 'good' or 'bad', maybe not in a black and white sense but they make judgements based on their own ethics or the ethics of others. Let's equate the sharp end with good, and the dull end with bad. Why not the other way around you may ask? Well, what leaves more of a mark? The sharp edge, or the dull? The sharp, of course. And in terms of ethics... What has made more of a mark? The good, the humanitarian efforts.

The good elements of govt, like social programs and healthcare. Sharing, benevolence. If you disagree that's alright, but I'd pose the following. If the bad was the sharp end... Why are there still humanitarian efforts and optimism when it is so easy to give in? Why is their inspiration? Motivation for change? Because the bad is wounded, people see this. They see that the dark is not some intangible force that cannot be harmed, they see it is able to be dented and scratched. They are motivated to do change because change is possible, because it is possible to make things better for others and to bring a smile... Not because everyone is a homicidal maniac and the only way to fix it is a hot bowl of soup.

This brings me to my next point, ignorance is not bliss. Ignorance is blind optimism, or blind pessimism. That is ignorance, ignorance is not happily gallivanting around. It's more of this phenomenon where someone doesn't realize anything about the other half and makes themselves look like a complete asshat. Sure, they might appear happy but what happens? Nobody likes an ignorant person, other than other ignorant people... And ignorance is defeated pretty easily as is... Which of course, if you're an ignorant person you just get angry and ignore the facts (Thus making you more ignorant and no longer blissful as you're angry. Heehee.). Wishing to be ignorant to be happy is in fact being ignorant... Why? You're ignoring all the positive details. Hence, ignorance.

Another thing I wanted to briefly touch base on was definition. Humans, specifically... Stereotyping. It's... Bad, I don't think people should be put into categories. Of course we do it all the time even subconsciously, at least on levels of personal import. That I don't think is bad, what I think is bad is the classification. Black, White, Asian, Mexican, Canadian, Indian... Etcetera.  I don't think it's really fair to give people pre-designated classifications that well... Basically determine their life and the disposition of others towards them. Some of this can't be helped (in the case of sexuality) but I mean, are we as a people really going to debase ourselves so much as to treat a person poorly simply because of race, colour or gender? I think it's pretty childish... We all bleed the same, we're all human. Why can't we just act like it? It's not like another race is a vastly different species from Mars.

So, basically the point of this was that we're lucky. We're very, very lucky to have what we have. Even if what we have is life and life alone. I mean, alright... My parents have disowned me, my brother is a major dick... I've got financial problems, a cat pissed all over my blankets so I can't go to sleep... I still haven't heard back from my doctor but I mean at least I still have the friends I have, the family I still have and of course Sammi. Count your blessings I suppose, there's a lot of overlooked good in this world.

Here's some random bagpipes for you from a guy who looks like Robin Hood combined with King Arthur.



Anyways, later!

No comments:

Post a Comment